Enjoy this soothing winter breakfast as an easy, gourmet winter-time meal. Or share with friends and family as part of a beautiful, healthy (and easy!) breakfast or brunch.
The quinoa is rich in protein but also easy to digest, and makes a perfect grounding breakfast.
Option to soak quinoa overnight in water, which will sprout the quinoa, and reduce cook time to just 3-5 minutes the next morning. it’s a little extra work, and definitely not necessary, but it makes the quinoa even easier to digest.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 12 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes
Serving size 2 - 3 portions.
1 cup white quinoa
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (shelf stable version or refrigerated, both work well) Almond milk + hazelnut milk are delicious alternatives too!
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Top with: Fresh berries/ bananas/ citrus fruit/ nuts
Optional Additional Ingredients
1 Tbsp maple syrup
Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean pod. - Adds a really nice sweet + nutty flavor. Vanilla extract does not work here because the alcohol is too rich. You can order vanilla bean pods here on Amazon for a reasonable price (they are twice as much in store usually)
1 cinnamon stick, instead of ground cinnamon - nice when you are making a big batch, and want a “white” look to breakfast and then just add cinnamon on top. This is really just for presentation purposes :)
- Rinse quinoa in a strainer. Run water over quinoa until the water is clear and not cloudy.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the quinoa, 1 cup of the coconut milk, 1/2 cup water, and half of the vanilla bean seeds, and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in optional 1 Tbsp maple syrup and the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk. Or wait to add the coconut milk until you serve into each bowl.
- Top with fresh berries, banana, nuts or whatever your heart desires!