Hearty, smoky and a little sweet! Really delicious and easy to digest red lentil soup!
1 yellow onion - small dice
2 garlic cloves - minced
3 carrots - small dice
3 stalks celery - small dice
1 lemon - squeeze over bowl when served.
1 14oz can diced (or small dice) tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
3 cups red lentils
4 -6 cups veggie broth (pick a really good, organic one - makes a difference!)
2-4 cups water.
.5 tsp cayenne
1 tsp dried oregano or 2 tsp fresh oregano
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
Olive oil, salt + pepper
Fresh herbs - like cilantro or parsley are nice for serving.
Greek yogurt or Almond Greek yogurt (I love Unsweetened Kite Hill) for topping. Optional! the soup definitely doesn't need it, just adds more
Sauteed kale or dark leafy green with garlic makes a nice side or topping. Dark leafy greens are great at every meal.
- In a large soup pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, stock, half the water, tomatoes, and remaining spices - cayenne, paprika, cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 20 min. Season with salt, pepper and anything else.
- I like to blend about half of the soup in a blender and then re-combine. It as a smooth, creaminess to the soup. Be careful blending while soup is hot and only fill blender half way as the heat creates pressure!
- Once in bowls, add any chopped fresh herbs (I love cilantro) and a squeeze of fresh lemon.